accident claims

Get the right advice

Our work injury advisors will:

  • Offer free, impartial advice to injured catering staff
  • Explain how No Win, No Fee works
  • Recommend the right solicitor
Call 0800 218 2227 Open until 9pm
Call me back Choose a time

How common are catering accidents?

Catering can be a dangerous profession. Commercial kitchens contain many hazards like hot surfaces, boiling liquids, sharp knives and dangerous appliances.

Kitchens, restaurants and bars are also often crowded environments. Members of the public mingle with waiters and chefs. It is easy to see how accidents occur, even when health and safety best practice is followed.

Burns, cuts, manual handling accidents and slips and trips are the most common types of catering accident.

What should I do if I've been injured in a catering accident?

Seeing a doctor

Even if you feel your injury is minor, you should get medical attention as soon as possible after your accident. Seeking professional medical advice will make sure that your injuries are fully recorded. Any problems can be addressed at the earliest point.

Find out more: Key things you need to do when getting medical help for a work injury

Keep a record

A record of your accident will help you to:

  • Claim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) and benefits
  • Make an injury compensation claim

Even if you are not planning to make an immediate compensation claim, it is a good idea to make a record of events while you still clearly remember what happened.

Along with medical records and the accident book report, a record of what happened in your own words can be very useful evidence if you decide to make a claim.

Find out more: Gathering evidence after a work injury - checklist

Report the accident

Whatever the circumstances of your work injury, either you or a colleague should inform your manager as soon as possible. The sooner an incident is reported, the more detailed and useful the information recorded in the accident book is likely to be.

Find out more: Reporting a work accident

Can I claim injury compensation for a catering accident?

If you were injured in the last 3 years and someone else was to blame, you may be able to claim financial compensation.

You can make a catering injury claim if your accident happened for reasons like:

  • You were told to do something that you have not been trained for
  • Another worker, contractor or site visitor did something dangerous
  • You were not given suitable PPE
  • You were injured by poor-quality or broken equipment

Getting support if you can't work after an accident

If you are suffering from a work-related illness or have been injured at work, you may have to take time off work. This can be a stressful time, especially if you have dependents.

Financial support during your recovery may be available in the form of sick pay, or through benefits payments under schemes including the Employment and Support Allowance.

If you have started a compensation claim, you may also be able to get interim payments to cover treatment costs and household expenses, before the claims process is complete.

General Damages

General damages compensation for work injuries is more complicated, especially if you have multiple injuries. is calculated with reference to a published guide used by lawyers. The guide is called the Guidelines for the Assessment of General Damages in Personal Injury Cases.

Our calculator gives a good idea of what your compensation award could be, with reference to both special damages and the general damages guidelines.

Special Damages

You can claim for any financial losses that were caused by the accident (known as special damages).

Calculating special damages is straightforward. Any losses or expenses you incur as a result of the accident are simply added up. Special damages can include:

  • Lost wages, including overtime
  • Travel costs for hospital and GP appointments
  • Physiotherapy and other treatment costs

Could my work status stop me from claiming?

Your employment status may affect how claiming compensation works, but you should still be able to claim even if you are on a temp contract or are an agency worker.

Read more about how different job types change the claims process:

How much compensation can I claim?

Compensation is calculated by adding Special and General damages together and deducting any success fees you may have agreed with your solicitor.

Making a No Win, No Fee catering accident claim

A No Win, No Fee claim is made with the help of a solicitor.

When you start a No Win, No Fee claim, your solicitor will explain how the claims process works, and what they will be paid if they win your claim. Under a No Win, No Fee agreement, a solicitor will receive a success fee of up to 25% of a claimant's compensation.

If your No Win, No Fee claim is not successful, you will have no legal fees to pay.

Find out more: Making a No Win, No Fee claim

Get the right advice

Our work injury advisors will:

  • Offer free, impartial advice
  • Explain how No Win, No Fee works
  • Recommend the right solicitor
Call 0800 218 2227 Open until 9pm
Call me back Choose a time